Internet Corporation Yahoo has finally drawn the curtains on pioneering search site AltaVista this morning.
AltaVista was hugely popular when it was launched in 1995 because it had indexed 20 million webpages and developed its own ‘crawler’ technology that did the job of finding webpages and logging what was on them.
Yahoo had acquired the AltaVista technology, index and name when it bought ad firm Overture in 2003, ABC News reports.
According to the report, Yahoo had announced the shutdown on June 28 adding that if users visit AltaVista website, they will be directed to Yahoo search site.
- Yahoo shuts down search engine relic AltaVista (telegraph.co.uk)
- Yahoo shuts down internet relic AltaVista (stuff.co.nz)
- Yahoo shuts down Internet relic AltaVista (miamiherald.com)
- Yahoo shuts down Internet relic AltaVista (fresnobee.com)
- AltaVista Now as Dead as Dial-Up (abcnews.go.com)